Notice: A new release next week will fix the formatting problems for 10.5″ and 11″ iPads.
Welcome to the new release of Read Ahead. If you are updating from the old version and have made any purchases, the first thing you should do is restore your purchases. You can open up a panel by tapping the Navigation button circled in red below and restore your purchases from there.
The Navigation button is available on many screens and gives you access to other important features including the new Practice Goal. The Practice Goal is designed to encourage students to practice sight-reading consistently each week. You enter a lesson day and time and the number of days a week you are going to practice sight-reading. Read Ahead will then keep track of days completed and award a trophy at the end of the week which goes on your Trophy Shelf. Higher practice goals give bigger trophies.
If you are a first time user to Read Ahead, we’ve got a short video which introduces you to the app which you can watch below. We have also started adding videos explaining each type of exercise. Memory and Touch warmup exercises are shown below.
Read Ahead Overview
Warmup – Memory Exercise:
Warmup – Touch Exercise:
More Instructional videos coming soon!
You can also read through our blog entries on sight-reading to get lots of ideas and tips.
What is new:
In a sense everything! We had to completely rebuild the app because the old framework is barely being supported anymore and made updates impractical. Our new version is written in a modern framework and will enable us to continue to develop Read Ahead and it runs much faster.
- We’ve added the first section of our new Preparatory Level. This is our easiest section and is great for beginners.
- We redid the in-app purchases which are now made through the store and offers discounted Level purchases in addition to the smaller Section purchases. Each section (A-C) has 12 days while an entire level has 36.
- Memory and Read Ahead exercises now let you input tempi outside of the slider range. Just tap in the Manual box on the tempo pages and enter the value of your choice. The range is 30-200 BPM. Any values entered outside that range will have no effect.
- You now swipe left or right to turn pages for longer sight-reading and touch exercises.
- Practice Goal: We encourage students to practice regularly by setting a weekly goal. To this end, we have implemented a practice goal. Go to the settings page and enter how many days of a section you want to complete in a week. Then enter the day and time of your lesson. Each time you check off all of the boxes in a day of Read Ahead, you move one step closer towards your goal. At the end of the week, when you reach the day and time of your lesson, the goal will reset. If you complete your goal you will receive a trophy which will be displayed on the My Progress page (Trophies are still under construction). Better trophies are awarded for completing more ambitious goals. (The range for this is 2-6 days a week).
- The Day screen has been reorganized. The warmups are now posted above the pieces they are associated with.
- The user interface has been reworked. There are too many small changes to comment on but we hope you will appreciate them!
If you wish to get in touch with us, our email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
We realize this update has been a long time coming. We will be making more regular updates and improvements going forward in addition to adding more content starting with 4C in the next couple of months.