Welcome to Read Ahead! We’ve decided to release this version which allows everyone to use all of Read Ahead for free through June 1st in order to help the piano community during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you’ve made any purchases in the app store, they will remain in effect after June 1st when the app goes back to normal. The entire app is unlocked for now so you can ignore any comments below on using the store for purchases.
For users with no audio: make sure you don’t have the mute switch (if you have one) turned on. Also, the app may automatically mute the volume on startup. Go to the tempo selection page, start the metronome and then turn the volume up. This solves the problem 95% of the time. If you still have no sound, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which model iPad and version of iOS you have.
The first 2 days of every section in every level are unlocked so you can try it out and determine an appropriate starting point. When you are ready to purchase a section or level just go to the store and make the in-app purchase. Once you purchase a Level or Section, the day icons on the corresponding screen will no longer appear locked. Choose P for the Prep level or 1-4 for the upper levels.
The Navigation button is available on many screens and gives you access to other important features including the new Practice Goal. The Practice Goal is designed to encourage students to practice sight-reading consistently each week. You enter a lesson day and time and the number of days a week you are going to practice sight-reading. Read Ahead will then keep track of days completed and award a trophy at the end of the week which goes on your Trophy Shelf. Higher practice goals give bigger trophies.
If you are a first time user to Read Ahead, we’ve got a short video which introduces you to the app which you can watch below. We have also started adding videos explaining each type of exercise. Memory and Touch warmup exercises are shown below.
Read Ahead Overview
Warmup – Memory Exercise:
Warmup – Touch Exercise:
More Instructional videos coming soon!
You can also read through our blog entries on sight-reading to get lots of ideas and tips.
What is new:
In a sense everything! We had to completely rebuild the app because the old framework is barely being supported anymore and made updates impractical. Our new version is written in a modern framework and will enable us to continue to develop Read Ahead and it runs much faster.
- We’ve added the first section of our new Preparatory Level. This is our easiest section and is great for beginners.
- We redid the in-app purchases which are now made through the store and offers discounted Level purchases in addition to the smaller Section purchases. Each section (A-C) has 12 days while an entire level has 36.
- Memory and Read Ahead exercises now let you input tempi outside of the slider range. Just tap in the Manual box on the tempo pages and enter the value of your choice. The range is 30-200 BPM. Any values entered outside that range will have no effect.
- You now swipe left or right to turn pages for longer sight-reading and touch exercises.
- Practice Goal: We encourage students to practice regularly by setting a weekly goal. To this end, we have implemented a practice goal. Go to the settings page and enter how many days of a section you want to complete in a week. Then enter the day and time of your lesson. Each time you check off all of the boxes in a day of Read Ahead, you move one step closer towards your goal. At the end of the week, when you reach the day and time of your lesson, the goal will reset. If you complete your goal you will receive a trophy which will be displayed on the My Progress page (Trophies are still under construction). Better trophies are awarded for completing more ambitious goals. (The range for this is 2-6 days a week).
- The Day screen has been reorganized. The warmups are now posted above the pieces they are associated with.
- The user interface has been reworked. There are too many small changes to comment on but we hope you will appreciate them!
If you wish to get in touch with us, our email address is: email@example.com
We realize this update has been a long time coming. We will be making more regular updates and improvements going forward in addition to adding more content starting with 4C in the next couple of months.